Thursday, August 27, 2009

African Drumming 101

So ... African Drumming is pretty much one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. Seriously, everyone needs to take this class before they graduate. I love it because we're learning to play some pretty sweet instruments, but we're also learning a lot about ourselves and human nature, in general, too. Something that our teacher said on the first day, I've been carrying around with me ever since: No matter what, we are all drummers. We are all drummers because we carry the same rhythm inside each and every one of us. Everyone on this planet is driven by the same pulse, the same heartbeat. And in that way, we are all connected.

Now that's some pretty heavy stuff to throw out there on the first day of class. It reminds me of a J.K. Rowling quote (yes, from Harry Potter ... but Dumbledore said it, so it's clearly legit), " ... though we may come from different countries and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one." Both Dr. Scott and J.K. Rowling are right. Now, a few years ago, I would never have thought for even a few seconds that this was a topic that still needed discussing in the year 2009. But my eyes have been shockingly opened to the fact that prejudices of every kind surround us. Daily. Call me naive, but I honestly don't understand why. People could lecture me or show me power point presentations day in and day out about how prejudice is rooted in fear and all the other theories that we make up to explain why it's logical that it exists ... but for a country that prides itself on equality, in fact preaches and shouts it from the rooftops, it seems that we are ... well, failing.

But I guess prejudice is really more about hate. And the only way to counter hatred is with love. So instead of focusing so much on justice and equality, maybe we should focus on love and kindness. Maybe a little Pay It Forward action going on? I don't even know what point I'm trying to make anymore, but I guess my advice to anyone reading this would be to keep all this mind as you go through your daily life. You know that guy that smells like sweat on the packed Orbit bus that takes your seat? Or that girl in your class that never understands anything and therefore asks a million and one frustrating/ridiculous questions? Well, next time you want to strangle both of those people ... or throw them in front of bus ... or whatever your preferred anger-dispensing method ... remember that we are all connected in the most basic of basic ways: being human.

So give that big, smelly, bus-seat-stealer a hug. I dare you.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this, sitting two seats down from you, I can hear your voice in your writing. Your writing is witty, it's funny, and it's heartfelt.

    The only thing I would mention is don't ever admit that you've lost your train of thought. Maybe we as readers wouldn't have noticed. I thought you were doing great :) And don't forget to proof. You left out a couple of words here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's okay to embrace the idea of humankind, as you do with all the heart rhythm stuff, and to also dislike specific individual members thereof. This is not a contradiction. Of course it is not okay to dislike someone because they are a member of a particular ethnic, cultural or religious group. But if someone cavalierly takes your seat on a bus or drones on in a class about nothing, you have every right to spear them with a disapproving gaze.

    (I feel like I am writing an advice column in a newspaper. I don't like people who write advice columns. Most of them are pompous know-it-alls with an inflated view of their own smarts and wit. Ooops... I am going against my own advice here, as written above. Time to google post-humanism and see what I am trying to say, get me back on track, etc.)

    ReplyDelete